Tips for choosing an ID theft consultant:
- Check to make sure the person has credible references.
- Ask about what resources they use in helping solve problems regarding identity theft and if they are relevant to your situation.
- Ask if the person follows the guidelines outlined by the attorney general’s office and the Federal Trade Commission.
- Ask if they have had first-hand experience with identity theft and what the outcome was.
- Make sure that there is a clear understanding of what the fees are, what they include, and make sure you get it in writing.
- Ask about their success ratio and if you can see written testimony from past clients.